fRoots is the world’s No.1 independent magazine in its field – new or traditional music with roots from around the globe. We’ve been at the sharp activist end of the folk, roots and world music scenes, publishing every single issue right on time, for 39 years. Pronounce it “eff-Roots”!
fRoots has its exceptional status because it deals with a unique diversity of music, from Anglo-trad to Zanzibar pop, from the latest fusions to the very ethnic. Every hugely comprehensive issue is packed with more than twice the feature content, 50% more news, more reviews and more original photography than its nearest competitor.
Since Spring 2018 fRoots is to now published quarterly in a much larger (around 150 page) and higher quality format. All issues come with exclusive download compilation albums.
The Spring issue, published late March, traditionally caries our annual Festival Diary and Festival Advertising supplement. The Summer issue will have an additional Festival focus, rounding up the highlights and history of the season and looking at the artists with a high festival presence. The Autumn issue in late September will focus on autumn tours, releases and the annual showcase events like Womex and English Folk Expo, and the Winter edition in late December will have our annual Critics Poll for Albums Of The Year and look at spring tours and releases.
We are the market leader in content, goodwill and reputation, and absolutely central to the folk, roots and world music communities with a leading activist role. fRoots is news stand distributed in the UK and also sold by major music chains and live music venues. We have a very high worldwide subscription base, including many major public and college libraries.
INFO ON ADVERTISING WITH fROOTS
FACTS AND FIGURES
These facts and figures are taken from our latest readership survey.
- fRoots is the world’s longest continually published folk, roots or world music magazine with a full UK national spread. Our influence is enormous: we’re read by absolutely everybody of importance in the folk, roots and world music business and beyond.
- fRoots readers cover the entire age range from mid-teens to 60-plus. The majority are in the 35-55 age group, are educated and comparatively affluent:
- 75% are ABC1s
- 52% are Guardian readers!
- over 75% take foreign holidays
- they take an average of 2 foreign and 3 UK holidays a year.
- fRoots readers tend not to read any other music publications. The maximum crossover with any other world music or folk title is 29%. Less than 21% read any mainstream music monthly, and less than 10% read any of the specialist jazz, blues, country, instrument, equipment, home recording or travel publications. Advertising in fRoots is easily the best and most cost-effective way of targeting the readers most interested in folk, roots and world music and connected areas.
- fRoots readers are dedicated to the music: On average they say they’ve been interested in the areas of music we cover for 30 years, they’ve read fRoots for 16 years, and 99% keep their back copies for reference.
- fRoots readers spend! They buy an average of 42 CDs plus 115 paid download tracks each year. 95% have bought CDs as a result of reading about them in our editorial pages, and 73% as a direct result of advertising.
- fRoots readers buy 68% of their CDs online. So having local distribution in any country has ceased to be an issue.
- fRoots readers play! Many are musicians – 53% play an instrument, and of those who do, 66% perform in public, 35% as pro or semi-pro performers.
- fRoots readers get out more! Nearly all attend live music events, and 70% have been to them as a result of adverts in fRoots.
- fRoots readers are heavy internet users. 97% have internet access and 86% use the fRoots web site including our popular monthly fRoots Radio podcast and fRootsFacebook page.
- fRoots readers are heavily into new technology. 21% are Mac users, and high percentages are kitted out with the latest playing and recording equipment, smartphones, tablets, digital radios and cameras.
- fRoots is a long-established media partner of leading UK and overseas festivals and was a founding partner in the BBC Radio 3 Awards For World Music.
ADVERTISING RATES, SIZES AND DATA
All prices exclude VAT which should be added at current rate to final total. BACS, PayPal and cheque payment details will be found on your invoice. Email address for advertising information only.
|LIVE DATES & SMALL TRADERS|
|Live Section: Clubs, concerts, dances, artists’ tour dates etc have a labelled section at this cheaper rate. This section does not include festival adverts, nor do we allow additional details (e.g. record releases) to take other than a minor portion of the space.|
|Small Traders: Sole instrument makers selling direct to the customer, artists who take solely own direct bookings or market own-label recordings or publications, etc. and will reciprocate mutual support with e.g. a web link.|
All adverts that appear in the print editions of fRoots are carried in identical form in our digital editions for desktop, laptop and iOS or Android tablets/ smartphones FREE OF CHARGE, including a free working web link on all adverts if included. You do not need to supply separate artwork.
PRE OR PROMPT PAYMENT*: 25% All advertising should be pre-paid with copy, except by prior agreement with approved accounts only. Pre-payment or prompt settlement of accounts within 10 days of invoice date secures 25% discount producing the rate in (brackets)* above.
Double Page Spread: 17.5%.
Four Page Section: 25%.
Short series (2 issues): 15%.
Long series (3 or 4 issues): 20%.
Whole series invoiced together at start. Deduct from the final total after all charges and any section discounts.
Replacement artwork may be supplied by an advertiser at any point in a series, subject to meeting normal copy deadlines.
SPECIAL POSITIONS: 10%
Back Cover, Inside Back Cover, Inside Front Cover, and the first available inside Full Page only. Enquire for further information.
|Line border to the exact box dimensions below except on full page bleed. Bleed artwork only on full pages. All measurements are in mm, detailed vertical x horizontal.|
- We can still process adverts in Quark XPress 8 or earlier. These should be sent to us on CDR collected with all graphics – minimum 300ppi CMYK or 600ppi grayscale – and all fonts used in the document, including those encoded in EPS files. We can not process those submitted any other page design software such as InDesign, Pagemaker etc.
- Standard word processing software such as Microsoft Word should not be used other than to supply basic keystroke text for adverts we are typesetting for you.
|You are liable for payment at full space rates for any booked adverts cancelled, or for which copy has not been received, after the stated final date for space booking, around the 12th of the month before publication.|
fRoots is now published quarterly in a much larger (148 page) and higher quality format.
All issues come with exclusive download compilation albums. Magazines reach subscribers around a week before street publication date.
The Autumn issue out in September covers October to December and has a focus on autumn tours, releases and the annual showcase events like WOMEX and English Folk Expo.
The Winter edition, out in December, covers January to March and carries our annual Critics Poll for Albums Of The Year and looks at spring tours and releases.
The Spring 2019 issue, published March and covering April to June, is our annual Festival Issue with its comprehensive Festival Diary and Festival Advertising supplement.
The Summer 2019 issue covering July to September, published in June, celebrates our 40th anniversary!
COPY DATES 2018
|Autumn 2018 (422)||10th Aug||20th Sept|
|Winter 2018/2019 (423)||6th Nov||20th Dec|
|Spring 2019 (424)||5th Feb||22nd March|
|Summer 2019 (425)||7th May||20th June|
BOOKING & COPY
GET IN TOUCH
For all things ad-related, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.